11920 Rhus Ridge Road
Los Altos Hills
SOLD FOR $3,790,000
OFFERED FOR $3,998,000
Amenities of the Home include:
- Main residence with 5 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms on 2 stories
- Through double deep cherry wood doors, flanked by sidelights and transom, enter to a large, elegantly finished foyer with new marble floor and Brazilian cherry wood accents, partial wall, indoor floor-level and raised planter beds line the way to a handsome wet bar, concealed behind double leaded glass doors
- Step down into the dramatic 40′ long living and dining room with its 22′ high ceilings crafted from solid, tongue wood planks and exposed massive solive wood beams, underfoot is Brazilian cherry random plank hardwood flooring
- Natural light floods the space from a skylight, 12 eight foot high windows and 2 four foot high clerestories. In the middle of this wondrous space, a wondrous stone-brick wood-burning fireplaces (yes, 20′ high!) rises from floor to ceiling. The fireplace materials match and complement the main and dining area entry ways.
- A custom natural wood soffit follows the architecturally unique curved walls of this breathtaking space and provides mood-enhancing lighting
- The formal dining area extends from the living room, with an integrated 8′ sliding glass door opening to a small private outdoor patio and to the pool and spa beyond. Opposite this door is an entire wall of cabinetry that blends harmoniously with the surrounding wall and provides enough storage space for hosting the largest dinner party. The dining room is located conveniently adjacent to the kitchen, yet can be completely isolated from its activities while entertaining.
- Just to the right off the foyer, the library features wainscot paneling, matching Brazilian hardwood floor, and a built-in desk center with overhead shelving and as appropriate to a library, floor-to-ceiling built-in bookshelves
- Convenient to the living room, dining room, and library, a recently completed full bath offers cherry wood cabinetry, marble flooring, full shower, vessel sink and LED accent lighting
- A remodeled chef’s kitchen with every detail designed to enhance the joy and maximize the efficency of time spent there. It features vertical grain steamed beech wood cabinetry and wainscoting, granite slab surfaces and tiled backsplashed with silver keystones; the large island has functional cabinets on all four sides, pantry with leaded glass doors, and a spacious casual dining area with additional concealed (“tonsu”-inspired) storage area; Versailles patterned tile finishes the floor; greenhouse window above the dual-compartment sink
- Stainless steel appliances include: Thermador cooktop; dual KitchenAid convection/standard ovens; KitchenAid microwave; Bosch dishwasher; KitchenAid compactor; built-in 40″ KitchenAid side-by-side refrigerator plus built-in water filter, instant hot water dispenser, Moen Aquasense faucet, 1HP InSinkErator garbage disposal
- Just off the kitchen, the family room links the public rooms with the main-level bedroom wing; hardwood flooring, a massive floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors opens to the garden and pool area (possible area for built-in outdoor barbeque), a functioning skylight supplements the natural light coming from the many windows and closet storage with leaded glass doors keep toys, games and the like out of sight
- Step up to a hall illuminated by wall sconces that leads to a mini-rotunda lit by a skylight 15 feet above the natural maple random plank hardwood flooring. From there are three spacious bedrooms, each with natural tongue-and-groove naural wood ceilings and solid wood open beams. All three bedrooms are carpeted with generous closets, two with folding louvered doors, one with sliding mirrored doors (this bedroom also has a sliding glass door that opens to the beautifully landscaped gardens).
- A large, modern bathroom with Scandinavian-style hot rock steam, two-level, fir-paneled sauna, clear heart alder wood cabinets, pebblestone floor, Corian vanity, tub with overhead tiled shower and a “secret” chute that makes dirty clothes “disappear” into a specially designed hamper in the laundry room
- The laundry room lies off this hall and provides a full washday sink, space for washer/dryer appliances and lots of space within its matching alderwood cabinets
- A separate closet with sliding doors faces the laundry room and provides space for linen (there are two other storage areas for linen in this section of the main residence) as well as space for vacuum attachments, sewing and other items best kept out of sight but still readily at hand.
- Back at the kitchen, a brand new staircase made with solid seamed beech treads that match the kitchen’s wood trim leads to a landing or balcony useable as a large sitting room with solid 3/4″ random plank Brazilian cherry wood flooring and overlooks the elegant living/dining area.
- The master quarters, (roughly a 40’x20′ area) is currently divided into two large rooms: a master bedroom and an office. A master bath joins them on one side and the balcony/landing on the other.
- The master bedroom has an open solid wood beam vaulted ceiling made with natural wood tongue-and-groove planks and carpeted floors. It has both a walk-in closet and a 10′ long closet with three mirrored sliding doors
- A second master upper bedroom usable as another large bedroom, nursery or office (its current use) has 3/4″ random plank Brazilian cherry wood flooring, with a large, wall-to-wall closet currently used as custom solid oak built-in bookshelves. Two large windows that afford views of the swimming pool and the tennis court.
- The branch new master bath suite features granite counters that run around the perimeter beneath the garden window and marble flooring. A soaring ceiling rises above the glass-enclosed shower with sitting bench and rain spout shower. Vessel sinks sit atop custom built steamed beech cabinetry. A free-standing tub faces out to a beautiful garden view and, at night, with accent lighting creates the feeling of a private retreat.
- Other interior features include new (replaced existing) central station security alarm; central vacuum; two separate heating and air conditioning systems in main residence two separate hot water heaters in main residence
- A separate, detached guest house offers hardwood floors, a wood-burning fireplace, and full kitchen; appliances include a Maytag gas range and Whirlpool dishwasher, microwave, garbage disposal, and refrigerator; 2 large, carpeted bedrooms with walk-in closets plus full bathroom with vessel-sink vanity and shower; central vacuum system; separate gas heating with thermostat, separate water heater
- Detached 3-car garage featuring huge custom-built storage shelves; a separate workshop and large wine cellar with custom racking and case storage
- Above the garage a huge multi-purpose recreation room (with space enough for a gymnasium, pool table, multimedia centre and arts & crafts area – all at the same time in the same space) has a solid wood beamed with tongue-and-groove planked wood vaulted ceiling with four skylights, carpeting, Swedish-style fireplace, half-bath, and kitchenette with gas cooktop and sink, electric water heater, separate gas heater with thermostat, Anderson wood-clad sliding glass door opening on a private balcony
- Exterior features include: sun-swept pool and spa with remote control pool and spa management; gazebo; fenced tennis court wired for night lighting and electric operation; automatic sprinkler systems; newly replanted lawn; raised vegetable beds; automatic lighting; Invisible Fence system
- Los Altos Schools: Gardner Bullis Elementary (API 946); Egan Junior High (API 976); and Los Altos High (API 895)
- Located on a private road, this property is serviced by Purissima Hills Water District (water), PG&E (natural gas and electricity), AT&T (telephony and High Speed Internet), and connected to Los Altos Hills sewer system
Please submit your contact information below to download disclosure documents.
- Architecturally unique estate property
- Main residence with 5 bedrooms and 3 full baths
- Guest house with fireplace, kitchen, living room, 2 spacious bedrooms and 1 full bath
- Flexible-use multi-purpose room with fireplace, kitchen and half-bath
- Detached 3-car garage with ample built-in storage
- Wine cellar and workshop
- Perhaps the lowest price per square foot in Los Altos Hills
- Total Livable space: 5,624 square feet (523 square metres)
- Main House: 3,816 square feet (355 square metres)
- Guest House: 932 square feet (87 square metres)
- Multi-purpose room: 876 square feet (81 square metres)
- Numerious updates throughout plus just-completed gorgeous master, library, foyer, and main-level powder room
- Pool, spa, and tennis court
- Manicured lawns, water efficient landscaping & stately trees surround the home in balance with natural surroundings
- 1.42 acre (0.59 hectares) lot with MDA unavailable now in the Hills
- Just 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) to the downtown Los Altos (the “Village”) for shopping and dining (~1 mile/0.6 km to the Moody/El Monte Exit on U.S. Hwy 280)
- Located at the end of a private lane with direct trail access to Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve
- Los Altos Schools (buyer to confirm enrollment)